Tuesday, 26 September 2023

Playing with Poetryđź–‹




First Kiss

In the stairwell
on the way to class
he suddenly spun around
and our lips met
warm, fleshy

Exotic
he'd asked me out
only a week ago
and I guess it was time
to consummate our
teenage pledge

A few others drifted by
'oh, they're now dating'
would our two worlds mesh
quarterback
I knew nothing about football
I played the clarinet

Lips can move a lot
more than I thought
lips can swell
just like other parts
kind of odd how
lips have various purposes

Before this moment
I had practiced on
those wax lips
sold in candy stores
in those days
placed just at the right height
between the bricks 
on my house

The real kiss was much better
and naturally we discovered 
what to do
I don't think he had practiced 
but that's why it's best
to have the right person
at the right moment

So innocence and budding
love can work
their magic
part of the experience 
is being new at it
together

Sitting here today
I think back to how
my love life started
I was lucky to have
my first kiss with him
because

With later possible lovers
I could tell
what was right and knew
certain kisses
were not the kind that 
drew two people together

The mistakes I made
tell me that
my first kiss
was no mistake


Just Asking, How are You

I don't care if we only talk once in a while
to share the highlights 
of our days

But I want you to hear my insecurities
as my way of experimenting
trying on viewpoints
like a new pair of glasses

I will listen to your
wishes for a love partner
with curiosity and humour

Like the day you had dinner
with the lady who thought 
you were dieing



No comments: