Retirement continues and things have settled into a new rhythm. I have some interesting projects in my life in which I go all out, mixed with some days where I simply admire my natural locale.
Recently something very real has grabbed me. An article in November's "The Walrus" magazine (The Walrus ), called 'From Torture to Table', written by Jonathan Kay highlighted a topic I have been aware of, but put in the background of my thoughts because it just seemed too huge to tackle.
This article woke me up! In general we who eat meat are complacent about the conditions under which the animals we feast on live their lives and are slaughtered. The business of producing meat is fraught with haunting practices, right here in Canada.
In truth I am half a meat-eater, having given up the daily practice of including meat in my meals. I have consciously learned how to incorporate other food combinations into my menu and enjoy many culinary discoveries I have made. I am happy to eat a wide variety of vegetarian meals, but I still like some meat. I also live with someone who prefers more meat than I do and may even need more meat in his diet than I do.
Feeling quite sick after reading The Walrus article, I am embarking on a serious project to...no longer eat tortured animals.
No comments:
Post a Comment