Monday, 9 June 2014

Frankly, I hadn't considered the possibility of being in this place I now call 'here'. Don't get me wrong; unforeseen events can have a certain wonder, but it takes some moments to switch gears. Barely a few seconds before, I was in travel mode, eyes focused on the road and my mind's eye visualizing the moment of arrival. "Hi, I'm h-ee--r-r-e!". "How was your trip?". "Good, no problems…". Stop, rewind the mind tape. I guess I'm actually here right now, my imagined journey abruptly snapped to a halt.

So what is here? First, my mind roves around inside the car, taking in what is available to me for some kind of practical use. Water, a bag of almonds, an apple. Heat; if I need to I can turn the car on and warm up. Gas? Half full. Basic necessities - but, what if I am here even longer? Do I have a blanket? No. Just a coat. I imagine wrapping myself up and curling up on the back seat. Suddenly I feel lucky to have a car to be in while I am here. I'll at least stay dry.

The clatter of rain on my roof proves there is no doubt that I am here. This constant is only broken by intermittent squalls blasting my car, shoving sheets of water across my windshield. Outside is only a blur to my eyes. I feel both submerged but at the same time in a seat of privilege here. Inside my car I can see clearly, but my world is small. Then, from within me, another sense of here emerges, and I see inside and outside merge into a stunning tableau. Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment